Thursday 13 June 2013

Creative Futures: local creatives & more

Researching Creative Employers

I was researching creative companies, local to me, for potential employment or freelance work, however after meetings & discussions, & analysing the task ahead & schedule of work to complete my degree within the extended time, have deduced that in reality, my degree must come first! I am concentrating on my studies until finished...& then the world is my ocean.

Some of my findings:

A search of local creatives may not reveal games companies near, however I realise that my skills are transferable, & being a creative & gaining more digital skills, will be open to more than just games companies when I apply for work, including companies such as Prodo & Eclipse Creative whom I have contacted in previous years.

I have postponed any more work on my cv's & portfolio for the present, but will tailor them to the role & company, albeit without losing my style or trying to be something I am not; I know I am flexible & can approach various tasks with the customer/end-user in mind, which has been proven whilst managing my own company.

Having to do a bit of a u-turn on the main high road, I turned my car around in the rather grand Hinderton Hall gated-entrance. That's when I spotted a creative design company sign: Fourth Wall Creative "A new kind of design agency based in Neston, Cheshire - fourthwallcreative | The home of free range thinking".
Not a Games company, but still in the creative/design industry, & after seeing their style & beautiful location, is another creative company I will look further at, & add to my list of potential employers when considering approaching with portfolio of work.

I discovered on one of my searches on Yell, that I can actually 'save' company details to look at later:
A search for local creative companies on Yell

Although I was surprised at the number that came up in this location, sometimes 'quantity is not quite quality'. I am always underawed when I open websites of companies who offer web-building & design/creative services, to find an outdated, crudely put-together, ill colour-matched & 'boxy', with badly-thought out navigation & errors, as their company website. I always wonder how they get continuous business, & had the same feelings when I had Frocked.co.uk, & would view other e-commerce websites selling fashion online, yet their layout was not easy on the eye or navigation easy to navigate, ie grainy images, bad models & fit of clothes, overbearing & clashing colours when not suited to the brand etc;


Screenshots of my e-commerce website Frocked.co.uk prior to closing; clean & easy to navigate

Screenshot of the 'Size' help page, with links to other help for sizing; image from London catwalk & edited by me
Screenshots of my e-commerce website Frocked.co.uk prior to closing; clean & easy to navigate



No comments:

Post a Comment