Tuesday 18 June 2013

Glyndŵr University - Stella Cottrell

I may have missed this seminar: Academic Study Skills Conference 2013, of which I think I would have found even more useful at the start of my return to study, but if I follow on with further study, & even lecturing/teaching, then I now know of an author/book that reads extremely useful!

Friday 7 June 2013
Study skills textbooks written by respected academic Dr Stella Cottrell have sold all over the world.
The author of the Study Skills Handbook (SSH) and Director for Lifelong Learning at the University of Leeds will share her vision for higher learning at Glyndwr University on Monday June 17.
She will be keynote speaker at the free event, entitled ‘Looking Forward: Academic Study Skills in the 21st Century’.
Held at the Catrin Finch Centre, it will include seminars, break-out and advice sessions, student recruitment workshops and presentations.
In her speech, Dr Cottrell looks at changes in the study skills landscape and will address their impact on higher education in the future.
“Over the last decade there has been much greater recognition of the importance of study skills,” said Dr Cottrell, who authored a number of textbooks as part of the Palgrave Study Skills series. "Most universities and colleges now provide study skills in some form to their students.
“I have always thought that good, timely study skills provision is essential to enabling students to perform at their best – no matter what their level. That view hasn’t changed.
“I have very strong views about study skills, as you might imagine.”
She added: “Since the first edition of the SSH many years ago, I have a character in one of the illustrations who says “personalise it”.
“I find that the twin considerations of personalisation and context are key to effective study skills. From that, you can gather that I don’t buy in to a uniform approach.”

No comments:

Post a Comment